It would appear that the current trend is to inform the world of our writer goals for the new year, so I thought I’d jump on the bandwagon, even though the bandwagon is technically a fallacy. Say what? Never mind. On to the goals!
(Goals are listed in the order I intend to finish them in, but are subject to change.)
1) Publish “London Darkness: War of the Devices.”
- I’m just waiting on the updated cover design, then I have to do a final read through and everything should be just about set. I can’t wait to get this out to you guys!
2) Finish and publish “Dirigible Air Corps: Dreadnought” novella.
- I’d like to have the first draft finished by the end of January, with the goal being about 30,000 – 40,000 words. It’s currently at about 10,500, so I think the end of January is a realistic goal. If I work diligently I believe it will be published sometime in 2013. Perhaps around July or August.
3) Publish “Oliver” novella.
- This is currently in the hands of the beta readers. I’m hoping to have it published by March or April. I have a photographer and models on standby for a cover shoot, I’m just waiting for the weather to improve a little bit. It wouldn’t make sense to have a snow-covered background for the cover of a book that takes place in the middle of August!
4) Finish “London Darkness: Automaton Rising” manuscript.
- I have about 15,000 words of this completed, and am aiming for 100,000+ words. This will be the longest book I’ve written, and I’m determined to reach that goal. Every time I try to write that much I always get stuck and the book finishes around 45,000 – 50,000 words. Not this time!
5) Finish and Publish “Dark Angel” short story series.
- I haven’t talked about this much, but I think it will come out really well. It’s my first attempt at horror writing, and if you recall the short story I posted “Headless Angel,” that is story #1 in the series. I believe there are seven stories in it that will range anywhere from 1,000 to 5,000 words each.
That should just about cover my major writing goals for 2013! I feel like it sounds like a lot, but I think if I stay focused I can do it. I’ve decided that I want to publish one novel and three novellas/compilations a year. I think that will provide sufficient output, and keep me plenty occupied. At this rate I won’t be participating in NanoWriMo next year either! But I suppose we’ll see. Luckily I have a head start on most of these goals, so that should make things easier.
Have you set your goals for 2013 yet?